1958 Earls Court Motor Show - Bentley Motors Ltd Display Vehicle
Our 1958 Bentley S1 (Standard Steel Saloon) with Chassis number: B239 FD was invoiced by Bentley Motors Ltd on the 12th November 1958 for the amount of £5,543.17s (Purchase tax included) to Tesco Stores Ltd, Tesco House, Angel Road, Edmonton, London N18. Registered to Hyman Kreitman, the son-in-law of Tesco founder Sir John Cohen, and Chairman of Tescos group 1968-1974, it was originally registered at the DVLA with UYY 100, which Mr Kreitman later changed, appropriately, to HK 666. The car was delivered by the renowned London supplier, Jack Barclay Ltd, on the 14th November 1958. Interestingly, the vehicle was financed by Courtland Finance Co., 3 Winnington Avenue, London N2. The car features in Davide Bassoli’s wonderful books ‘Under the Spotlight’ Volume II, which lists all of Rolls Royce and Bentley’s cars at the Earls Court Motor Show from 1937 to 1976. The chassis number and build details are indicated accordingly, along with a picture of the Bentley Stand Nr. 167 for 1958 (Oct 22- Nov 01), clearly showing the car in its original livery of Shell Grey over Steel Blue. It’s not clear when Mr Kreitman sold the car, but it did spend many years in the United States before being imported to Germany in the early 2000’s. Now beautifully restored in Old English White with contrasting brown leather, the end result is astonishing and would grace any collection or Bentley enthusiast garage.
The all steel construction with aluminium doors, bonnet and boot lid left the Crewe, Cheshire in England factory in Shell Grey over Steel Blue. Newly restored in Old English White, the result is simply breathtaking; with the exception of two tiny paint cracks near the drivers A Post and behind the drivers front spotlight, the overall finish has to be seen to be appreciated. Our detailers at Cathedral Classics spent almost three weeks getting the car ready, with particular attention paid to the abundant gleaming chrome. The car simply has to be seen to appreciate overall quality of the finish.
The newly restored interior is a wonderful hue of burnt orange-brown and is a well suited contrast to the white exterior. Care has been taken during the restoration to ensure that the cars original equipment stayed intact: sliding bench type front seat with adjustable back rests, tables at back of front seats with ashtrays, folding armrests to front and rear seats, interior woodwork of polished walnut, heater and demister with hot or cold selection, swivel type sun visors, sliding picnic table below the dashboard incorporating an ashtray, cigar lighters to front and rear compartments, internal locks to bonnets and petrol filler cap, rear window demister, reading lamps to interior and, incredibly, Rolls Royce specification electrically operated windows. Sadly, it would appear that the original radio did not survive and has been replaced with Philips modern that does look a little out of place. Still, its charm is all apparent and who wouldn’t want to be driven in this beautiful gentleman’s carriage. The quality of the wood finish and chrome, combined with new cream coloured alcantara roof-lining is something to behold.
Engine & Transmission
The power train for the period was a 4.9 Litre unit, straight six engine, offering 4887 cc and matched to a 4 speed automatic transmission. This particular model was also fitted with factory power assisted steering. Under the bonnet is superbly detailed and really speaks for itself just how much work has gone into the restoration. The underside images are another confirmation of the extent of the restoration.
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes
Whitewall tyres from Cooper Lifeliner Classic P235/75 R15 adorn the immaculate chrome hubcaps, which have recently been polished during the lengthy detailing process. These may now be displaying age related issues on the white bands and will, on request, be changed on sale. Braking is appropriate and well balanced following the lengthy restoration process.